House Roof Burns

Naugatuck firefighters work to make sure a fire is out at the Tuttle house on Church Street Wednesday afternoon. A fire burned a hole through the north side of the roof of the historic house. 

NAUGATUCK — A fire burned a hole through history on Wednesday afternoon.

mycitizensnews.com

A cupola on the north side of the roof of the historic Tuttle house, the former Board of Education offices at 380 Church St., caught fire shortly after 12 p.m., Naugatuck Fire Chief Ellen Murray said. When firefighters arrived on the scene, she said there was very heavy smoke coming from the roof.

Firefighters began attacking the fire from inside the borough-owned building, which is undergoing renovations, then utilized the scaffolding surrounding the house to douse the fire from the outside, Murray said.

The house was originally built as a residence in 1880. The Tuttle family deeded the home to the borough in 1936 for educational purposes. It was used for classrooms throughout the years and in the early 1960s after a fire at Hillside School. The Board of Education, which now has offices in Naugatuck High School, moved there in the 1950s.

The building is undergoing renovations to become the new home of the Naugatuck Historical Society museum and the Naugatuck Economic Development Corporation.

The renovations include replacing the slate roof, which is being done by A. Seondino & Son Inc.

“I’m glad it didn’t brush over and that no one was hurt,” Frydman said. “It made for a very interesting day. It was also very sad because I watched how that building was being improved for the historical society and it looked beautiful.”

Hanks said it’s too early to tell what the next step will be. He said the focus right now is on getting the water out of the building and setting up dehumidifiers to ensure nothing warps or gets moldy.

The first phase of the renovations was supposed to be done by the end of this month or early July, Hanks said. Society members have a meeting scheduled with the NEDC for this Thursday, he said, when they had planned to discuss possibly moving in sometime in August. Fire burns through Tuttle house roof | Citizen’s News